Add to Calendar
February 24, 2019 – February 28, 2019 all-day
Page Updated (February 1st, 2019) @ (10:59 am)
Study, Use and Conservation of Timber
25 – 28 February 2019
Venue: INTACH, New Delhi
AimThe course will introduce some of the key philosophical issues and practical challenges which arise in the use and conservation of timber in historic buildings.
ContentTimber is one of the primary materials used traditionally in the construction of innumerable historic buildings. The range of buildings varies from modest vernacular dwellings to high palatial complexes. It is therefore critical to understand the building timbers and examine the issues which arise in the conservation of timber in historic buildings. A four-day course is designed to provide an understanding on the conservation and use of timber in a historic building. The theory behind various uses of timber as building material will be supported by illustrative discussions and practical session at site. This will help illustrate a range of problems in-situ and discuss these issues with experts on building timbers, fellow participants and traditional timber masons working at site. A guided tour of the site will demonstrate how some of the issues and problems of timber conservation are being addressed at this particular building. Specially designed practical sessions will provide a unique opportunity for participants to work alongside traditional craftspeople and gain hands-on experience of working with timber.
Learning OutcomesUpon completion of this course the participants should
- develop an understanding of timber as a building material in a historic building,
- assess the problems and issues associated with timber in buildings,
- gain introduction to some of the key approaches and techniques to the conservation of timber,
- start thinking critically about the present and future of traditional building craft skills, especially those related to the use of timber.
SpeakersThe course will be taught by the staff at INTACH and invited guest speakers on specific aspects of the course.
Rs. 4800/- +18% GST
- 10% concession for INTACH members and Alumni
- 20% concession for students