Add to Calendar
Page Updated (June 21st, 2017) @ (05:28 pm)
Adaptive Reuse of Historic Buildings
1-5 February 2016
Venue: Hotel Atithi, 126, SV Patel Salai, Puducherry – 605001As a part of Pondicherry Heritage Festival 2016, INTACH Heritage Academy is pleased to announce a 5-day course on understanding conservation and management of historic interiors in Puducherry. Aim The broad aim of the course is to introduce the philosophy and practices of adaptive reuse for historic properties. Content We will explore the key issues – what is heritage, importance of heritage properties, significance of their adaptive reuse and how it can be done. The discussions will illustrate the notions of ‘value’ and ‘significance’ associated with historic fabric and the ways in which this can inform the approaches to conservation. We will also discuss the concepts of tangible, intangible and living heritage and debate about the future of the past. There will be specially designed field visits through the historic quarters which will help illustrate this broader understanding and conservation of heritage buildings and their adaptive reuse. The focus of this course will be on identification, documentation and reuse of historic interior spaces and architecture. Some of the key questions that we will collectively address will be:
- What is a historic interior space?
- How can historic interiors be modified/upgraded for adaptive reuse without compromising the values and significance of the place?
- What are the various conservation approaches to address the conversion of historic buildings for contemporary uses?
- How to address the challenges of conservation economics?
- What are the challenges of introducing modern facilities and amenities in a historic property?
- Develop an understanding of the concept of ‘heritage’ and its adaptive reuse.
- Gain introduction to the notions of value and significance associated with cultural heritage.
- Develop basic knowledge of the approaches to conservation primarily focused on adaptive reuse of historic interior spaces.
- Get introduced to the role of key stakeholders in the conservation and management of heritage.
- Start thinking critically about the present and future of historic buildings.