Add to Calendar
December 11, 2018 – December 12, 2018 all-day
Page Updated (November 1st, 2018) @ (09:53 am)
11 – 12 December 2018
Venue: INTACH, New Delhi
AimA broad aim of the course is to introduce the concept of Cultural Tourism and create an awareness about the importance and fragile nature of heritage places, collections and living cultures that foster the capability and prospects of such concepts in India whilst working towards achieving a sustainable future for them.
ContentAs per the ICOMOS International Cultural Tourism Charter (1999): “Tourism itself has become an increasingly complex phenomenon, with political, economic, social, cultural, educational, bio-physical, ecological and aesthetic dimensions. The achievement of a beneficial inter-action between the potentially conflicting expectations and aspirations of visitors and host or local communities, presents many challenges and opportunities.” The course is an attempt to explore and assess these various dimensions of Cultural Tourism. We will discuss the challenges and opportunities that tourism provides for ‘authentic’ cultural exchange between locals and visitors. In the Indian context, cultural tourism may include aspects related to heritage, pilgrimage, spirituality, crafts etc. We will discuss these aspects with help of case studies. A special field visit will be designed for practical experience of some of the key aspects related to cultural tourism.
Learning OutcomesUpon completion of this course, the participants will:
- Develop a basic knowledge of the concept of Cultural Tourism.
- Gain an understanding of the ICOMOS International Cultural Tourism Charter.
- Acquire an insight into the strategies relating to the presentation and interpretation of heritage places and cultural activities.
- Get an exposure to the various international and national bodies associated with tourism industry, and their approaches to balance the needs of the stakeholders and the expectation of the industry.
- Start thinking critically about the impact of cultural tourism for natural and cultural heritage sites.